|TERRAFORM GLOBAL, INC. filed this Form 10-Q on 11/08/2017|
6. VARIABLE INTEREST ENTITIES
The Company consolidates any variable interest entities (“VIEs”) in power plants in which it is the primary beneficiary. The Company is the primary beneficiary of nine VIEs in entities that were consolidated as of September 30, 2017, each of which existed and was consolidated as of December 31, 2016. The VIEs own and operate power plants in order to generate contracted cash flows.
As disclosed in Note 2 - Acquisitions, in October 2016, the Company entered into arrangements with SunEdison for the transfer of the balance of the equity interests in the Millenium and SE 25 solar power plants in India, in each case following the expiration of the equity lock-up period in the applicable PPAs in January and March 2017, respectively, and without further action by SunEdison. In accordance with these arrangements, in January 2017, the balance of 26.0% of the equity interests in Millenium was transferred to the Company. In March 2017, 100.0% of the equity interests in SE 25 were transferred to the Company. As a result of the transfer of equity interest in Millenium and SE 25, these power plants are no longer considered VIEs as of September 30, 2017.
The carrying amounts and classification of the consolidated VIEs’ assets and liabilities included in the Company’s unaudited condensed consolidated balance sheets are as follows:
As of September 30, 2017
As of December 31, 2016
The amounts shown in the table above exclude intercompany balances which are eliminated upon consolidation. All of the assets in the table above are restricted for settlement of the VIE obligations, and all of the liabilities in the table above can only be settled by using VIE resources.
7. LONG-TERM DEBT
Long-term debt as of September 30, 2017 and December 31, 2016 consists of the following:
As of September 30,
As of December 31,
(In thousands, except rates)
Current Interest Rate (%)(1)
Corporate level long-term debt:
Project level long-term debt:
Total long-term debt
Less: deferred financing costs, net (3)
Less: current portion of long-term debt (4)
Consolidated long-term debt, less current portion
The weighted average effective interest rate as of September 30, 2017.
As of September 30, 2017, 8.9% of this balance had fixed interest rate debt and the remaining 91.1% had variable interest rate debt, of which a portion is hedged with interest rate swaps.
Total net debt reflects the reclassification of deferred financing costs to reduce long-term debt as further described in Note 1 - Nature of Operations.